Do you have a hobby? Can you make money on it? It doesn't matter what your hobbies are; if your crafts are interesting and original, they will be in demand. There are tons of buyers willing to pay well for handicrafts. You just need to know where and how to sell them.
Sooner or later, needlewomen have a desire to earn extra money in their favorite pastimes. However, there is no opportunity to open a shop in small towns and even hand over your handicrafts for sale. Selling craft online is much easier and more efficient. How to properly sell handmade items on the Internet, to accept payments to avoid fraud from buyers, and where to look for customers and how?
Of course, you can't sell anything without effort. It is recommended that products be displayed on different sites; the more people see the craft, the more willing there will be to maximize profits. Let's take a look at a small guide to selling handmade products.
After reading this article and reading the guide, you will understand that selling handmade products is not difficult. You can sell on different sites without even creating your own, which greatly simplifies the work in this area.
Craft Business Ideas
Not every handmade product quickly finds its buyer. Listed below are the crafts ideas that will allow you to make money, not just have a good time.
Home Cooking as a Business
- If you are looking for a way to make money at home, look at home cooking. Home cooking as a business is time-consuming but rewarding. It owes popularity to her passion for a healthy lifestyle and love for natural products. Ready-to-eat food from stores is no substitute for homemade food. But the modern rhythm of life dictates its own rules. Those with little time to cook are happy to buy someone else's culinary delights.
- The main disadvantage of home cooking as a business is the speed of product distribution. Food deteriorates quickly and cannot be stored for a long time. Therefore, the best option is to work to order.
Homemade Baked Goods as a Way to Make Money
- Do you know how to use the oven and often spoil your homemade pies? Then homemade cakes are right for you. Pies, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, are far from a complete menu for orders. To attract customers, try to make your crafts unique.
- For example, painted gingerbread or fortune cookies. It is also possible to bake homemade bread. Many try to avoid the purchased one, as they are not sure of its composition. Therefore, we are ready to buy handmade bread. Your starting investment is a bread maker and hours of practice.
Cakes to Order
- Cakes are wildly popular. However, they require great skill from the author. And also good taste. And we are talking not only about the taste of the product. Its decor matters too. The cake is a festive pastry.
- That is why customers expect a stylish and contemporary presentation from your crafts. Especially when it comes to wedding cakes, you can earn a decent amount of money with your hands-on cakes. But don't forget about starting investments. Firstly, it is not only buying ingredients but also equipment for baking and decoration. Secondly, you are better off taking training courses. Even if you are preparing divine cakes for the birthday of your household. Custom-made cakes are not only about taste but also decor. Learn to compete.
- This type of handmade involves not just sewing individual dolls; you can create entire collections. Depending on the craftsmanship and artistic design, your crafts may be in demand. There are hundreds of examples when a needlewoman, showing maximum imagination and creativity, turned a seemingly ordinary toy into a branded product.
- These include Tilda dolls, dolls in national costumes made of nylon, porcelain angel dolls. Adults are more interested in collectible dolls. For children, you can design educational toys, dolls with a set of clothes and accessories, a doll family (dad, mom, and daughter or son). By the way, such a product can be sold, having previously agreed in a toy store. The result of home handicrafts will not belong incoming, so you can prepare for a good income.
Creation of Designer Jewelry From Beads
Jewelry, which does not lose its popularity, continues to interest the female half of humanity. Therefore, it is worth taking a closer look and doing, for example, weaving jewelry items from beads:
- Hair clips.
For such a small business, not much investment is required.
- Everyone always needs cosmetics; without them, it is impossible to imagine any woman. On the cosmetic market, hundreds of companies create the highest competition for each other, but the prices from this remain quite high. And the quality of industrial cosmetics is debatable.
- Some craftswomen tried to make cosmetics with their own hands, and they did it very well, and now there is an opportunity to sell craft. Now they are doing this with success not only for themselves but also on order. The main positive point is the use of only natural raw materials. If you go into a small cosmetic business, you can make the following types of natural cosmetics:
- Face and hair masks.
How to Properly Describe a Product For a Selling Craft Online?
Not all needlewomen know how to sell their crafts, and most of those who are going to do it on the Internet are just those who do not own sales. Don't forget about competition and don't assume that the visitor is the buyer.
First of all, learn how to take beautiful and high-quality photos. You may have to fork out a new camera. Photos must be flawless and as informative as possible. According to them, the client will be able to select and place an order. Protect photos with watermarks to prevent others from using them.
The main selling link is the word, and if words are spoken at the fair, then they need to be written on the Internet. It is easier, as there is more time and there is an opportunity to think through everything. Open others' online stores, see what they list in the product description, analyze multiple competitors, and do better.
To sell your crafts, you must indicate in the description:
- Attractive and original name. If this is another coffee toy, then give each one a unique and colorful name.
- Describe the parameters height, width, weight.
- The material from which the product is made. Emphasize its safety and environmental friendliness, if applicable.
- The purpose of the thing. Try to find as many applications for it as possible so that the buyer understands that he needs it! If you ate this decoration, write down what style it suits, if a souvenir, then what design it will fit into and who is better for presenting it.
- Be sure to write how and in what time frame the handmade product will be delivered. Mention careful packaging and warranty. Please note that delivery of the craft is not included in the price.
Where to Sell Handmade or Homemade Craft Online
The Internet is a powerful network that has long been turned into a trading network. There are many DIY craft options available. Some of them are explicit trading platforms, while others can be traded unobtrusively. So, where can you sell your creations, and what is the best choice?
Thematic Fairs of Needlewomen
There are dozens of websites on the network specializing in the sale of handicrafts. To start working, you need to register on the portal, familiarize yourself with the working conditions and display your goods.
Benefits of fairs:
- There is no need to delve into technical details and study publication nuances and other points.verything is extremely simple and understandable.
- Some resources have a secure payment system, which means that the risk of being left without crafts and money is reduced to zero.
- Such sites have high traffic and are widely advertised, so you don't have to spend much money on promotion and advertising.
- It's easy to open your convenience store at the fair without paying for hosting and domain rent.
- You can display any number of goods - at least one craft, at least hundreds.
Among the shortcomings, it is worth highlighting:
- High competition. Even if a buyer comes to your job, there is no guarantee that he will not like a competitor's item.
- The need to comply with the rules of the resource, up to the prohibition of the publication of personal data and direct communication with buyers.
- There is a usage fee or commission.
Social Networks as a Sales Market
Selling handicrafts through social media can be done in one of the following ways:
On a personal page
Suitable if there are few crafts, and they are interesting to friends. Ask your friends to like it. Remember to indicate what the work is for sale and its value.
Creation of a separate page
We need to look for new friends interested in the offered goods.
Creation of a group
The community also needs promotion. The group will have to deal with manual goods, publish interesting materials, organize contests and prize draws.
Social media is not a reliable source of sales. A profile or group can be closed at any time. You can try address search for clients. Create a template for an email offering to buy gifts for employees and send it to small companies.
Own Online Store
Opening an online store for selling craft online is only worth it if there are a lot of goods and there is a constant replenishment of the assortment. The store can display finished handicrafts and offer customization.
- Complete independence from third-party resources.
- The ability to independently design the site using themed backgrounds, icons, and other design elements
- You can communicate directly with the buyer.
- There are no sales commissions.
However, owning a store is not an easy job, and the need for cash investments. It needs to be served, advertised, carried to the masses.
How to Open Your Online Store for Selling Craft?
The handicraft business is as serious as any other. First, you should calculate everything and only then proceed to practical implementation.
There are two ways to open your online store for selling craft online:
- Using a ready-made online store template, you just have to add your photos. Specialized resources offer these options. As a rule, services are free for a small volume of sales.
- Create your resource from scratch, rent hosting, buy a domain, make a website. If there is no one to do, you can buy or find a free store template. This option is more complicated but complete independent from external systems
- Create a portfolio of your work. There are many sites where you can upload your crafts and leave your contacts for communication. This is certainly not a full-fledged site, but it is quite a convenient option.
Create several sections on the site. Do not limit yourself to sales; publish interesting materials to attract potential buyers and customers to the resource.
How to attract customers to a craft store? Launching an online store for selling craft online is only a tenth of success. The site needs to be advertised and promoted in order for it to appear in the search engine results. There are free and paid methods.
- Write interesting articles on a similar topic so that people looking for useful information find the address on the Internet. For example, you sell dolls and sew them to order. Write a few materials about these dolls, and if you have never written texts, then it is better to order them to professionals who will write an article and make it appear in the search.
- Post invitation links to your website on forums, social services and networks, and other resources in the comments.
- Place ad banners on sites with suitable audiences. It can be a resource for women or children, for example. Please note that there is no point in publishing ads to sell crafts on sites for needlewomen. Advertising works well on portals with the theme of giving and fashion reviews (if the topic is suitable).
- Buy search engine advertising. So your store will be the first in the search results for the selected request. The main thing is to choose it correctly.
- Order contextual advertising with pay per click.
A Guide to Help You Sell Handmade Craft Online
An essential point in the guide to selling is the delivery of purchases to the customer. You should study all possible delivery methods to the buyer's location and choose the most profitable and convenient for the client.
- Payment is the most important issue. Ideally, you should only work on a prepaid basis. The most convenient way to receive payments to e-wallets is fast and secure. Be sure to get a bank card.
- For those customers who do not want to make an advance payment, there is cash on delivery. In this case, the person will pay by mail, and you will receive your earnings by mail order.
- To earn even more from selling craft, combine the sale of finished handicrafts with craft workshops. Take pictures of the work process, then describe the steps and sell step-by-step tutorials.
If the volumes grow, and you stop having time to sew, knit, you will have to take assistants. This is more practical and profitable than refusing customers. Assistants can be trusted with the simplest work. It will not be difficult to find them among relatives and friends who want to earn extra money.
As you can see, the choice is very wide. You can have fun and make selling crafts online a fulfilling job. An interesting portfolio is an essential component for those who are planning to start making money selling crafts. It is needed to demonstrate skills, product quality, ordering capabilities. It is better to place only the best works in the portfolio.
- How to start selling your products, what is needed for this?
This very point stops many masters of their craft. Everyone writes what and where to sell, but how? Yes, you will need to communicate with customers. If you do not want to talk with clients, find an intermediary ready to do this work for a certain amount. But at the same time, part of the income will go to him.
- What can you do with your own hands?
You can bake to order, knit, embroider, make candles, soap, or makeup. In this area, there are no restrictions you only need to choose what you like the most.
- Do I need to create a website for selling craft?
You can sell your creates on social media or create a portfolio on specialized sites.
- Is Selling Craft Online Difficult?
It all depends on your skills and capabilities. You can hire a professional who will deal with your website and social networks and devote yourself only to creativity. But in conditions of insufficient funding, you will have to do everything yourself. The main thing is to draw up a schedule correctly.
- What are the advantages of selling craft online?
Selling DIY crafts online is much easier than any other way. There are several advantages to such trading:
- There is no dependence on the place of residence, no matter where you live in a small village, where no one will ever buy handmade jewelry, or in a metropolis.
- You do not need to impose your jewelry and souvenirs in person; doing it remotely is easier than communicating with the customer in person. Ideal for those who are shy about selling.
- The same product can be displayed simultaneously on several sites, while nothing prevents it from being sold in parallel in a regular store or at a fair.
- You don't have to waste time participating in fairs and guessing days and hours.
- How to attract customers to the craft store?
Here are ways to promote your online store:
- Search engines, search advertising and networks;
- Targeted advertising;
- visual arts;
- Content marketing;
- People and opinions;