Table of Contents
What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a service that tracks and reports your website traffic.
Google Analytics 4, often known as GA4, is a brand-new tool that will replace Universal Analytics as the measurement tool in the future. According to Google, "Universal Analytics" property will cease data processing on July 1, 2023. Starting in July, fresh data will only enter Google Analytics 4.
The notification about the update should be visible at the top of your Google Analytics dashboard after logging in. Only if you are still using Universal property will the notification appear.
Get started with Google Analytics
- Create a Google Analytics account.
- On the leftmost part of your dashboard, click on Admin.
- On the second panel, click Create Property.
- Follow the steps.
- Under choose a platform, select Web.
- Set up the data stream and click Create Stream.
- Google will ask you to copy and paste a code on every page of your website. Copy the tracking code which starts with <script> and ends with </script>.
- In Portfoliobox, click on Cogwheel > Settings > Statistics and paste the tracking code. Click on Save. Your statistics should start displaying in your Google Analytics account within 24 hours.
Transition from Universal Analytics to Google Analytics 4
- Log into your Google Analytics account.
- At the bottom left corner of your dashboard, click on Admin.
- In the second column, select the Universal Analytics already created for your site. (Universal Analytics property ID starts with "UA")
- Click on Go to GA4 Setup Assistant in the pop up window or GA4 Setup Assistant in the second column.
- On the new window, click on Get Started.
- To better understand what the setup assistance will perform, we advise you to read the information provided on the new window carefully.
- Click Create and Continue.
- Google will ask you to copy and paste a code on every page of your website. Copy the entire code.
- In Portfoliobox, go to Settings.
- Select Statistics.
- Paste the code and Save.
- You may also check the complete guide from Google Support as a reference.
- If you get the message tracking code is missing in your Google Analytics account: The error message "tracking code is missing" shows up if your website or any of your templates are password protected or is unpublished. Your Google Analytics service is still working but the message will appear from time to time, you can just ignore it.
- If your Google Analytics is not working after adding your tracking code to your Portfoliobox website, please check if you have verified your site ownership by adding the meta tag provided by Google. For more information about site ownership verification, you can refer to this solution article.