What does it take to become a makeup artist, besides the desire to make people more beautiful and paint beautifully, even for yourself? Where to start with specialized courses or self-education at home depends only on your goals and ambitions.
The path to success through professional courses. If you want to become a professional in-demand international-class make-up artist, work on television, or in the world of catwalk fashion. You cannot do without special education, courses, diplomas, advanced training certificates, and, of course, practice. At a minimum, experienced makeup gurus will help fill in the skill gaps, check if you have correctly consolidated the material, will work on different types and styles, and will be able to create an online portfolio.
When is it worth signing up for effects makeup courses:
- You want to learn the art of makeup from scratch but don't know where to start and don't want to be self-taught.
- You are firmly convinced that the profession of a make-up artist is your vocation, and you want to realize yourself in this industry.
- You dream of becoming a stylist - a person who helps the client find everyday makeup that suits the wardrobe, lifestyle, and features of the face and figure teaches clients how to apply makeup correctly (so that they can apply it themselves).
- You are missing a theoretical or practical basis. At some point, your face and the face of your best friend for practice become small, and you understand: to develop as a makeup artist, it is useful to work with different types of appearance.
- You are not sorry to spend money on courses, although you realize there will not be a small cost here. The services of a good stylist-make-up artist are well paid, and the training will pay off quickly enough.
In the professional special effects make-up course, you will learn:
- Properly prepare the skin for make-up and apply cosmetics.
- Choose and use brushes, sponges for their intended purpose, and also properly care for them.
- Select makeup and cosmetics based on the external data of the model, emphasize the merits, and hide the flaws.
- Master the techniques of daytime, evening, holiday, and creative makeup for photoshoots and fashion shows.
- Build relationships with clients competently. In addition to the types of makeup, the scope of mandatory skills of a make-up artist includes the ability to communicate with people so that they come out of you both beautiful and positive.
- Be resilient to stress. The work of a makeup artist, like any other that involves direct communication with people, is difficult and requires strong nerves. A real pro should know how to paint a client beautifully and how to find compromises, respond correctly to a client's resentment, and efficiently solve problems, if any.
A good school of make-up is an opportunity to make useful contacts and find a job in the future. Do not be afraid of constructive criticism of the makeup artist who is teaching. Feel free to ask for the model's phone number if you'd like to get feedback on the makeup for your blog or social media page.
How to learn the art of effects makeup yourself?
Not all popular makeup artists graduated from special schools, but this did not stop them from building their brand and conquering the world of makeup with masterful works. Of course, under the guidance of an experienced teacher, it is easier to master the intricacies of the matter, but with due diligence, talent, and a developed sense of beauty, you can also master the basics. Especially if at the moment you are without money, and you really want to make beautiful makeup.
Nowadays, there is a huge range of opportunities for those who want to learn something on their own, especially if it is a special effects makeup.
- Numerous tutorials, video instructions, master classes on Instagram, YouTube, and Tik-Tok, can provide a good base for a novice makeup artist. In any case, you can definitely make up yourself beautiful by watching a couple of videos with interesting make-up techniques.
- You can always consolidate the result of the effects makeup of self-study in the makeup courses for yourself. At school, you will be taught to analyze your type, facial features, choose the right cosmetics for color and skin tone, mask flaws, and emphasize your merits.
How to start self-study of special effects make-up? If your goal is to create beauty through makeup, start with the following:
- Study trends. Make-up is a full-fledged work with the face. You are not an eyebrow or an eyelash master; you need to think wider.
- Stock up on makeup. She may be unprofessional at first, but the more, the better.
- Do not be afraid to experiment: mix tonal foundations, create makeup in incompatible colors, paint with one tool (for example, use blush as lipstick and eyeshadow).
- Find models of different types to be able to beautifully makeup and a chubby girl with full cheeks, the owner of a thin face with thin features, a burning brunette, and an ash blonde. We are sure that your friends, colleagues, mothers - all are not alike and, of course, want to look beautiful. So give them moments of happiness and at the same time hone your ability to work with different types of appearance.
- Watch video tutorials and masterclasses by leading makeup artists. Many professional schools share makeup tips and tricks, especially when it comes to facial contouring. A couple of subscriptions to the top channels will help you get the basics down and hone your skills.
Life hacks for a novice makeup artist. It is not enough just to complete a make-up course or watch a hundred training videos for maximum success. If you want to become a famous and successful make-up master and dream of decorating a glossy magazine with your work, you need to remember and regularly use a whole series of life hacks. Especially for you, the most important and useful tips from real pros.
Practice, practice, practice. The most practical life hack for those who want to hone their skills to the international level, practice on yourself, friends, relatives, models, provide makeup artist services to photographers on TFP terms. Accept that at first, you will most likely have to work to zero for the future, but console yourself that your efforts and costs will pay off with interest in the future.
Tips for beginner special effects makeup artist
If you dream of becoming a makeup artist and working in the subject of special effects, then here are some tips for you:
- Study someone else's experience. Even seasoned make-up artists do not hesitate to refer to the experience of other masters to adopt their tricks because any art is something that they learn all their lives. A make-up artist who believes that he has nothing more to learn from other professionals, bad makeup artists, even if he has more than one hundred successful works. Study trends, implement successful pro techniques, and look into the world's leading makeup artists; this will help your look remain fresh and tenacious.
- Sell yourself. Even if you create brilliant images, you will not gain a client base and become famous throughout the beauty world if no one will see your work. Upload your portfolio on social media, preferably with many examples of makeup in different styles and types. People should see that you know how to work with different faces, and you are subject not only to everyday nude but also to bright evenings, weddings, and creative make-ups.
- Do not forget about competent work with the audience. Tell us about yourself, your professional experience, be friendly with subscribers, each of whom is your potential client. Your name should become your brand. You will quickly come to this if you also know the secrets of promotion on the Internet.
- Don't be afraid of failure. Creative failures, customer dissatisfaction, negative reviews, and refusals when applying for a job are faced by novice makeup artists and those masters who have been working in their craft for a long time. Do not be discouraged if something went wrong because every defeat is a life lesson and valuable professional experience. Draw conclusions from each failure, focus on the goal and move on, no matter what.
- Don't be offended by criticism. If you have asked an effects makeup artist to evaluate your work, do not give up if he points out the shortcomings. Constructive criticism is the engine of progress. Perhaps you're not blending the foundation well on the wings of your nose, not highlighting flaky skin or choose a product with a yellow undertone when the model has pink? Soak up every comment and work on correcting mistakes. The experience of a mentor is worth its weight in gold.
Professional skills of special effects makeup artists
Special effects make-up artists work in theaters, film studios, on television, in the modeling business wherever it is necessary to create images by changing a person's appearance. There are two main types of makeup.
- Painterly makeup. Painterly is used in realistic subjects; it helps to subtly emphasize the character traits of the hero or radically change them. Plastic allows you to change a person beyond recognition. Silicone, latex, or polyurethane foam pads are used here. With the help of this make-up, Avatar, Hulk, Frankenstein, and other memorable characters were created. Modern cinema is no longer possible to imagine without the masters of special effects.
- Makeup for TV. On television, the work of a make-up artist is similar to that of a make-up artist; a master is required to make the host and guest on the air look their best. Therefore, it is necessary to hide their flaws and emphasize their merits. In theater and cinema, the make-up artist is more in demand. If an ordinary specialist works with a face, then the master, in addition, has been trained in the manufacture of wigs, beards, and other hair products.
Professional responsibilities. At their workplace, makeup artists perform the following functions:
- study the script in order to better prepare yourself for working with the visual image. At the preparatory stage for filming a film or theatrical production, the makeup artist carefully studies the script, thinks over the visual image of each character together with the director and props
- before the start of the performance or filming process, he applies makeup to the actors, and after the end of the work, he removes it
- keeps inventory in order, takes care of it, in case of failure, orders new copies
- makes the required number of overlays for plastic makeup, usually according to the number of shooting days, since they are mostly disposable.
Depending on the amount of work, the number of characters, and the organization of the process, make-up artists can specialize in the following areas:
- one is responsible for hairstyles
- another for makeup
- third for plastic parts.
The path to a dream is never easy, but the road will be mastered by the one walking. Start acting now if you can't imagine your life without transforming people with a wave of your brush. Be patient, and who knows, maybe the results of your work will be displayed on the pages of fashionable gloss and TV screens.
- How to become a special effects makeup artist?
A make-up artist is a specialist who externally transforms actors into their characters with the help of paints and special devices. A make-up artist should not be confused with a make-up artist who applies makeup in everyday situations.
- What should a special makeup artist have with him?
The makeup artist must have a water-based medical glue for the skin. It is thanks to this attribute that you will be able to keep the makeup components intact for a long time.
- Is SFX makeup bad for the skin?
Many cosmetics that are used for special makeup effects can damage the skin and clog pores. But it is the peeling off of such make-up that harms the skin the most. It is best to have it removed by a professional who will use special removal products.
- What does a special effects makeup artist do?
Special effects makeup artists are often hired in the television and film industry to create special makeup. Such a master is engaged in the design of wounds, wrinkles, the creation of unrealistic facial features on the cinema set.