Table of Contents
If you purchased a domain name from a third-party provider, you can connect it to your Portfoliobox site. All you need to do is follow the guide below and change a couple of settings in your domain provider's account. Your domain name will remain registered at your current provider but will be connected to your Portfoliobox site. You can only connect one domain and only Pro users can use a custom domain.
If you don't have a custom domain, you can register a new one through Portfoliobox.
Step 1: Submit your domain name
To connect your domain, you first need to submit your domain name in your Portfoliobox admin panel:
- In your admin panel, click on Publish.
- Choose Use the domain I already own.
- Submit your domain name and click Use my domain
Step 2: Log in to your domain host
- Access your domain registrar's website. This is where you purchased your domain name.
- Sign in to your account. Use your username and password to log in.
- Navigate to DNS Settings. Look for a section labelled 'DNS Management', 'Name Server Management', 'Advanced DNS', or something similar.
If you are not familiar with the process of domain configuration, we recommend you provide your domain provider with Step 3.
Step 3: DNS Configuration
You'll need to create several DNS records. Below are the types of records you'll need to add, along with their respective values:
- The nameservers should be the default nameservers of your provider.
- Don't delete nor edit MX records during this process. MX records connect your email address. Deleting them will interfere with your email service.
1. Create an A-record
|NAME / HOST
|VALUE / POINTS TO
NB! If your provider doesn't accept @ as a Host Name, we recommend leaving the Host/Host Name field blank or entering your domain name without the "www" in front.
2. Delete all other A-records
If other A-records are configured for the "Name" @, you must delete them, as they will interfere with the configuration.
3. Create a CNAME record
|NAME / HOST
|VALUE / POINTS TO
NB! Some providers require adding a dot (.) at the end of the value: "home.portfolioboxdns.com.".
Step 4: Wait for the settings to propagate
It may take up to 48 hours before your domain name configuration has propagated. When the settings have propagated, your site will be reached if you type www.yourdomain.com or domain.com in a browser.
If you have an issue configuring your domain name or if it's still not working in a couple of days, please contact our support team, who will gladly assist you. You can also check the troubleshooting page.
Step 5: Confirm the configuration
- In your Portfoliobox admin panel, click on See Live.
- Confirm the configuration.
Congratulations, your site is now published!
The SSL Certificate ensures a secure connection between the web server and the web browser. When a certificate is successfully installed on a server, the application protocol (HTTP) will change to HTTPs, where the "s" stands for "secure".
Shortly after configuring your domain name, an SSL certificate will automatically be generated for your domain. The whole process of DNS propagation and SSL certificate generation can take up to 60 hours. You will receive an email notification when your SSL certificate is ready.