But in fact, you shouldn’t rely only on that if you want to succeed with your website. An SEO-optimized text is the prime aim of content writing for google. It needs to be optimized for search engines and easy to read for your audience.
To satisfy your reader, the text must be written simply and clearly, and fully cover the topic. As for the search engines - key phrases and synonyms would be key points to make them like you. So, how to write an article that both ranks well and engages the readers? Portfoliobox prepared a vast material with various tips and secrets on how to catch 2 rabbits in one race. We recommend you bookmark the article to avoid losing it and revise it each time you need it.
1. Base Your Content on Reader’s Goals
Before you start writing for your audience, take some time to do research. Find out the demographics of your users based on age, location, gender, and education. Why do you need to find out their demographics? Understanding your target audience, you can choose a content approach that suits them and write content that they want.
Writing about college life for factory workers or suburban parents is not a prosperous choice. At the same time, you can't write about retirement and social security cheques when most of your users are millennials. Moreover, there’s one more thing you should regard.
Just imagine: you wrote about the things which you think are absolutely clear to everyone. This trick will allow you to look at the article from a different point of view. For example, you are writing an article about construction, and you are advising clients to build a strip foundation. You, as the author, know why it is appropriate to build a strip foundation. And what about the clients? Most likely, they do not, so when you write content, your task is not only to recommend the type of foundation but also to describe when it is used, on what soils to build and how it protects the structure from subsidence.
A good copywriter tells the topic from simple to complex: first about the problem, then about how to solve it. Otherwise, the reader will quickly close your article, even if it is at the TOP.
2. Make a Keyword Research
Until 2013, Google did not evaluate the information content and the number of key phrases in an article. This was used by SEO specialists and turned articles into a set of keywords. Even though the articles were bad, they ranked well. Today, google content optimizer search bots have learned to determine the "usefulness" of the material for the reader, its spamming and unnecessary content.
Google loves structured text, infographics, lists, and key phrases (just in moderation). SEO specialists use special utilities and determine which keywords and how many should be used in the article. As a rule, they link to articles from competing sites and their position in the search results.
Those who search for "dog food" generally intend to buy dog food, while users who search for "types of dog food" are interested in information about the variety of dog food. So, anyway, while writing for google, don’t forget to include your audience's needs. Add only relevant keywords.
Keep it Simple
If you want to know how to write good content for Google and your audience, here is the best tip you could ever get.
- Keep your text simple. Even if you write a small article, don’t complicate its structure with tricky sentences, complex speech patterns and infrequent words. Especially, avoid doing it if you write an extensive article. Otherwise, the reader would just drop it.
- Remember that you don’t write a work of fiction but an expert article, which is prone to help. Your article must respond to the reader's requirements. A good article has to convey its main message clearly and simply.
- Removing superfluous words and using the active voice are two ways to simplify your text. Another option is to discuss the main thing and discard secondary information. Let's say you've been analyzing the markets and making your recommendations in a senior management report. Instead of listing all the pros and cons of each market, it is worth highlighting only the two best options and describing their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Systematize Information (Use Graphics, Tables, Images, etc.)
Sometimes, it is difficult for the reader to comprehend complex things, even if the copywriter explains them clearly. The way out is to explain complex content using graphics, images, tables and illustrations. You can also use GIFs, comics, and videos to dilute the text “about complex” and distract the reader. In addition, your article will not look like a sheet of text. Google content optimizer search engines love infographics. So, in that way, you will ease the article for your audience and increase its chances to be in TOP of the rank.
A distinctive feature of high-quality infographics is the ability to make the necessary semantic accents. It allows you to tell huge amounts of information concisely and, at the same time, informatively. So, that saves readers’ time because they would doubly study all the information on the matter. There is no doubt that long texts are boring texts.
When you write content, you should always remember that the easiest way to comprehend the information is visual. 90% of the information received by the human brain is visual. That’s why an infographic is extremely effective, as it is a visual means of conveying information.
Anyway, using graphics can be a great option for your writing.
4. Write Meta Title and Headline for SEO
Tag Title is a basic HTML marking element that helps search engines and users determine the article's subject and content on the online resource page. But how can you use it to your advantage?
- Use high-frequency keys. Analyzing the semantic core compiled for a page or section is necessary. Select high-frequency key phrases, and make them readable and relevant in meaning. First, you need to create a semantic core using special services, then cluster them and select the most appropriate queries in meaning to this page and content.
- Compose simple phrases. When you write the Title, you need to focus not only on the algorithms of google content optimizer search bots but also on users. Unreadable titles without meaning or spammed with keywords do not increase the loyalty of the target audience.
- Put the main HF key at the beginning of the Title. It is better to place the main key of the title closer to the beginning of the phrase, dilute it with thematic words, but do not make it too long (maximum 80 characters).
5. Use Meta Description
Meta tag Description (meta-description) is used to quickly clear out the page's content in the search results for the users.
A description is important for SEO because the search engine can use it to create a description of the SERP snippet. That’s why it is so important to use it when you are writing for google. The Description can “hook” the attention of a potential buyer of products or services. If this small paragraph (snippet) contains the advantages and benefits of using the product, that is important and relevant information about what users are looking for, you succeeded.
6. Create a Short and Understandable URL
Does the word choice in your URL affect the traffic to your site? Yes, it does. The URL stands for "Uniform Resource Locator", which means it tells you the specific address of a piece of content on the web. Choosing the right URL is crucial when you are writing content for google. That’s why we have several tips for you:
- Keep it simple. First, excessively long addresses turn off visitors. Secondly, long URLs are often truncated in search results. At this stage, you need to remove all unnecessary words and phrases.
- Make it readable. This is obvious as Google rewards user-friendly websites. So making your URL easier for people to read also makes it better for search engines.
- Use keywords. Research has shown that the relevance of the keywords in the URL helps people to make the decision whether to go on your site or not. Including relevant keywords increases the chances that they will choose your site among the others, as it seems to correspond to their needs.
7. Add Internal and External Links
Internal links significantly affect rankings. Maybe not to the same extent as the external ones, but you definitely shouldn’t neglect them. Internal links tell Google content optimizer which pages are important, and Google takes this information into account when ranking. In addition, internal links improve the interaction experience (aka UX), increase CTR and the efficiency of crawling sites by search robots. Internal links can significantly improve the site and its position when used correctly.
A good SEO article in 2022 is considered to be professional and gives personal experience. Keep in mind that you write content not for google but for people. In this way, key phrases should be used when necessary so that they do not affect the quality and meaning of the article. Today, SEO text helps build trust with the client, increases brand loyalty, encourages customers to purchase (if it is a conversional article) and increases the site's ranking in search engines.
What are the basics of content writing?
The basics of content writing are: using keywords, keeping the text simple, and mind your audience’s needs.
Is content writing easy?
No, it is not, as it requires a detailed and consistent analysis from the writer. Moreover, you have to write text in a special order and use a particular word choice.
How do I SEO my blog?
First of all, make an audience analysis to find out your target customer. Secondly, write content that will be relevant to your readers.
Can I do keyword research for free?
Yes, of course, there are a number of sites that provide lists of keywords with the highest rankings for free.