The Facebook page has even become the main platform for some brands: they talk about themselves, immediately communicate with the client, announce events, and sell goods here.
To succeed in something, you need to emulate the best. We researched more than 100 Facebook pages of well-known companies with more than 1 million subscribers or likes to figure out which photo for the Facebook cover is the most effective. We have combined the results in tips that you can easily apply in your business.
And yes, today we will do three things:
- we will introduce you to the photo for the cover on Facebook and its ideal size;
- we will develop a guide for you on how to create a photo for the cover;
- we will learn some tips about choosing a high-quality Facebook cover.
In this guide:
- Facebook header size
- Other requirements for Facebook cover photos and videos
- How to use the Facebook cover photo templates
- How to upload Facebook cover photos
- How to upload Facebook cover videos
- How to make a quality Facebook cover photo
The size of Facebook cover photo
According to Facebook, your cover photo should:
- be 820 pixels wide and 312 pixels high when viewing your page on computers and 640 pixels wide and 360 pixels high when viewed on smartphones.
- not be displayed on full-featured phones.
- must be at least 399 pixels wide and 150 pixels high.
- most likely downloaded as an sRGB JPG file, 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels high and less than 100 kilobytes in size.
And what does all this mean?
This means that even though we only get one photo, Facebook will use it in two different ways:
- in a rectangular format with a width of 820 pixels and a height of 312 pixels for PC monitors,
- in a slightly larger square format - 640 pixels wide and 360 pixels high for mobile devices.
If you want to use a single image that looks good on both your desktop and mobile phone, the best Facebook header size is 820 pixels by 462 pixels.
More requirements for Facebook cover photos and videos
Facebook is more of a visual environment. The image you choose can make or break the interaction and how users relate to your brand or page. There are specific rules for the types of content you can display on Facebook covers and videos. These rules are pretty standard:
- Make sure you're not violating anyone's copyright.
- Make sure your cover photo or video is friendly and safe for work.
- Make sure if you're promoting a product with your own cover or video. You're not violating any of Facebook's advertising policies.
Video cover for your page
You can now use video instead of the regular fixed cover. You can create an extremely ascetic cover or organize an explosion of colors and emotions - everything is appropriate. Most importantly, start from the style of your brand and the tasks that the cover should solve. With the help of a motion cover, you can:
- briefly convey the brand philosophy,
- announce an event or promotion,
- talk about a new product,
- support an advertising campaign,
- introduce the team.
Cover videos grab attention by default - even today, this is unusual because many brands (including the biggest ones) still use static. To use the attention of subscribers to the maximum benefit, when creating a cover, rely on the following basic principles:
- It must be at least 820 pixels wide and 312 pixels high.
- Its duration can be from 20 to 90 seconds.
Our tip: If you find Facebook banners or videos you like that are a little oversized, you can still use them! Just select this image or video (or upload it), and then you will be allowed to "Change" its position. Thanks to the change function, Facebook, in fact, allows you to cut your cover so that it, in your opinion, best fits into the space.
How to use the Facebook cover photo templates?
If you are faced with the difficult task of designing your page chic and competent, but you do not know where to start, you should contact the experts. There are cover designers for this. They know exactly how to make a quality and original Facebook cover photo. Or turn to the photo templates. How to create the best one?
Log in to the site to create templates and click on the search bar in the screen center. From the drop-down list, select "Facebook Background".
Different backgrounds for the future cover will be available, grouped by themes: seasons, holidays, and areas of activity. They can be used as a basis for adding inscriptions in beautiful design fonts, stickers, photos from the database, or upload your own.
Such services are usually built flexibly and intuitively. All elements can be freely moved, rotated and reduced/enlarged. The Facebook banner can be downloaded when everything is ready, and the result suits you.
How to upload Facebook cover photos?
It's easy to set a cover image:
- Hover over the top right corner of the Facebook banner.
- "Add cover" will appear.
- Choose one of the options: choose from publications, download from your computer or set a slide show of several pictures.
- If necessary, move the image, then click "Save".
Please note: Facebook header size is better to choose 815 * 315 for pages and 1640 * 856 for groups. This way, the image will be displayed as correctly as possible.
Tip: Don't forget to add a description after saving. To do this, click on the cover, then on the line "Add description". Write a short text about your activities. You can also add an address here.
How to upload Facebook cover videos?
Every business page owner can create and download videos for Facebook covers. This requires:
- Device for shooting a video - tablet, smartphone, video camera;
- PC for placement of the captured fragment.
If you have video editing skills, you can refine the video in the editor - impose music, lyrics, and make transitions. Choose a suitable app: Movavi video, Sony Vegas, or Edius. Place all important information in the center - the mobile version reduces the frame size.
When the video is ready, we will download it. It's very simple:
- We go to the page from the personal computer;
- Click "Add / Edit", then "Download";
- After downloading, select the field with the information to be broadcast. Click "Next";
- From the 10 proposed frames of the video, you need to choose one quality thumbnail. It will be displayed to users with low internet speeds. Turn off the autoplay slider if you do not want a cyclic snippet. Click "Publish".
How to make a quality cover photo on Facebook?
The cover's unique design plays an important role for both a small business and a huge community. Most do not attach any importance to this, downloading a hackneyed picture from the Internet. This reduces user confidence and repels potential customers.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when creating a picture in the Facebook group header.
The cover should be clear
Do not come up with a too abstruse Facebook header. It should be easy to remember, and the information on it should be read quickly. The simplest option is an image with the company logo or group name in the center. Choose an image representing your brand and show the person or product in action.
Choose a high-quality photo or illustration with high resolution. Don't use many small details, the quality of which may deteriorate after being uploaded to Facebook.
Don't forget about attracting followers with photos for your Facebook cover. As it develops, the group will increasingly appear in the recommendations of other users, and the cover is one of the factors that affects clickability. Try to establish an emotional connection with the images.
Use text, but bet on visual appeal
A few years ago, page layout rules said that text should not take up more than 20% of the cover. This limitation does not currently exist. In other words, you can write anything on the cover. For example, you can list services, post product listings with prices, etc.
Don't hide content
Users do not see your full Facebook banner when they go to your page. They have to scroll the page to see the whole page. Imagine that you have published a slogan, CTA or link at the top of the cover. This content may go unnoticed. Keep this in mind when designing your cover.
Integrate the cover with other page elements
If you want to use the cover art to its fullest, consider integrating it with other page elements. For example, combine your cover photo and profile photo. A cover image can draw attention to the Like, Follow, and Message buttons.
Attach posts related to the cover
If you're using the cover to announce an event or content, pin a post explaining the announcement. Please note that it is important to use the same photo for the Facebook cover and post design in this case. This provides visual feedback and encourages users to read the note.
Don't forget about mobile pruning
The Facebook header art should display correctly on all devices. When creating a Facebook header, keep in mind that it will look different on different devices. It will not be a large and partially cropped picture, particularly on mobile. Here's the main image trap for the cover - it is cropped on mobile devices. Although you can't download a single image for mobile users right now, we know how images will be displayed on mobile devices: 640 pixels wide and 360 pixels high. It uses the full width of the image and takes about the same amount of top and bottom images for Facebook's mobile photo cover. Select and crop your image accordingly.
Use the cover page to draw users' attention to the page. To do this, choose high-quality images that are relevant to your business. Follow Facebook guidelines. Draw attention to the page menu and conversion buttons. Use photos with the main objects on the right. Enhance your cover action with pinned posts.
How to make a beautiful cover for Facebook?
In our article, you will find more useful tips for creating a beautiful and unique cover for your page. Go to "Design" → "Facebook Cover", and then use the constructor: choose a template. You can upload your images, change text and background and add decorations - various design elements.
What to put on the cover of Facebook?
What should Facebook covers look like:
- Follow Facebook guidelines.
- Use text, but bet on visual appeal.
- Don't hide content.
- Prefer photos where the depicted objects are located on the right side.
- Integrate the cover with other page elements.
What is the Facebook cover size?
The Facebook header size is 820 by 312 pixels. You can upload a higher quality image as long as it matches the 2.628:1 correlation. The picture is shown at 640 by 360 pixels on smartphones.
How to make a Facebook cover video?
To put the video on the cover, you can either select the desired file from those already uploaded or add a new one. These options open when you click on the Change cover button in the upper right corner of the cover. Use Facebook cover video templates if you don't have the budget or time to create a clip.
How do I change the cover image of a Facebook group?
Click the icon in the upper right corner of the Facebook window, scroll down to Groups and find the one you want. Tap More and select View group info. Select Add cover photo or Edit cover photo. Click Select photo.