The content you add to your site and how you present it plays a big role in how easily people are able to find you. As you prepare to publish your site, go through this guide to ensure your site is optimized for search engines and visitors.
Content should be your first priority when it comes to SEO. Three words: Qualitative, Fresh and Relevant. Let's develop:
- Your content, informative or artistic, needs to be valuable, genuine and unique. Read Google's guidelines regarding High-Quality content (Section 5.1).
- Search Engines love fresh content and we're not talking about updating a title or a date but about newly added content to your site. A great way to do this is to create a blog page on your site and regularly post qualitative articles.
- Your content needs to be accurate and relevant for your audience. For example, if you announce on your website that your sell furniture, it's not recommended to display your holiday photos on the same website. Google won't qualify your holiday photographs to be a relevant content for your site. If you are also photographer, it's best to create another site dedicated to your photography art.
Optimise your texts with keywords
Keywords should be incorporated naturally in your texts, image descriptions or titles, in a way that is comprehensible to your visitors. A list of words at the end of a page does no good to your SEO. Here is an example of a compelling and descriptive text including keywords like design, furniture, lighting, accessories, iconic products, architects, etc.
Think the structure of your site with the user in mind
- Keep the navigation simple so that your visitor easily can find his way around your site.
- If relevant, use internal links to help your visitor navigate through your site.
- Use descriptive words separated with hyphens in your URLs, e.g. what-is-seo, instead of whatisseo.
- Avoid big chunk of text and prefer paragraph breaks.
- Include images or videos when appropriate.
Structure your content with headers
Use headers to organise the content on your page. Clear headers help the visitor skim your page to quickly find the information available on your page. Optimize your headers with keywords. Learn how to add a header to a page and how to edit the style of your headers in Portfoliobox.
Add a site icon
The icon may appear in search results, browser tabs, and elsewhere on the web. Learn how to add a site icon.
Add SEO titles & descriptions
Make sure each page on your site has a unique SEO title & description. The text should be short and readable, and describe the content of the page. You can also add SEO descriptions to individual blog posts and products.
In a search result, your site comes up as follow:
- Site title & Page titles: your page titles should convey what your page is about so they should be descriptive and unique. Try to keep them shorter than 60 characters and add your keywords at the beginning of the title. Edit your page SEO title under the page settings and your site SEO title under your site settings.
- Site & Page description: it's an HTML tag describing the content of the page. It is not visible on your website but can be read by search engines. However, search engines may decide to display another snippet of text than the one you provide if they believe it better represents your page. It should be descriptive and relevant. Try to keep it around 150 characters. Edit each page's SEO description under the page settings and your site meta description under your site settings.
- Sitelinks are automated. Only Google chooses to display sitelinks and which ones.
Optimise your images before uploading them
To avoid quality loss make sure your images are 1920 pixels in width or height, before you upload them. We also recommend making sure their color profile is sRGB. If you are using Photoshop go to File > Save for Web. This will make sure that the images will be optimized for web browsers. Read more about images.
Edit the name of the files before you upload your images. Try to use keywords in your image titles. The file name will be the image title in your Portfoliobox admin panel.
- Verify your site with Google Search Console
- Submit your sitemap
- Request that Google index your site
- Connect Google Analytics to your Portfoliobox site